I walked into my doctor's waiting room today to find that he was running over an hour behind, and there were only a handful of seats available for grabs. I picked one in a far corner, behind the fish tank. I still had one more seat empty next to me, then the wall turned, and was aligned with the next row. I sat next to a husband and wife, with their new little baby. On the next wall was a woman, perhaps in her 50's, crocheting a baby blanket, which filled me with jealousy that she had something to keep her attention. Along the other walls were many other men, women, and children. Pretty normal. Nothing too exciting, even for an avid people watcher like myself.
Then... SHE came in. A mother, maybe in her 50's as well, and her teenage daughter. The daughter took the seat next to me, and the mother went for the next wall, sitting next to the woman with her crochet project. The next five minutes were absolutely amazing as I witnessed this mother quiz the room's Martha Stewart about her blanket, crochet technique, reason for her medical visit today, the number of grandchildren in her life, then offered in detail (with her daughter's help) the reason her daughter had come to the doctor, the workup and surgeries she had up to that point, and their anticipated outcome for today's visit... You cannot even understand how much fun it was to eavesdrop on! Then, it happened... the talented lady and her blanket were called. She left the waiting area. Uh-oh... I looked around and the number of waitee's had dramatically decreased... I was the potential next victim! "look at your phone, and you won't get bothered" I thought to myself. I scoured my mobile internet for every possible news story I could find, and concentrated on not breaking my concentration. I heard the mother and daughter tag team start talking about hair length and upkeep, and in a moment of sheer weakness and distraction I looked up... crap! I made eye contact! I looked away fast, but it wasn't enough. I had given the invitation for conversation. At first I was awkwardly answering questions about my doctor, my wait time, and other related subjects. I tried to give as gracious of a pause between each answer to look sincere, but in reality I was waiting for my name to be called. Next, my inquisitive neighbors were back to their hair conversation, but this time they involved me. And guess what? They told me how gorgeous my hair was. They loved the color, the length, the curly mass of out of control mop locks. Huh... I figured the gracious and polite thing would be to listen. I loved them. My name was called, and I walked to the back with an ego boost and a new appreciation for strangers. Thank you mother and daughter!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment